All this week at school, I realized more and more the negative affect that technology has on us as readers, as writers, and as a society in general. I am not saying that all technology is bad, or that there aren't upsides that counter the downsides. But there are a few problems with technology that have been weighing pretty heavily on me this week.
It seems that, with each new upgrade to the i-pod and book e-readers, hard copies of books become less relevant. This is convenient for today, sure, but think of the long-term effects that it is having. People have shorter attention spans, more books are being published online only, and within ten years, we may not have any hard copies of books at all. All it would take is a well-planned virus to wipe out all of the books written in the computer age that we've entered into.
Also, it is detrimental to our health to sit in front of a screen for such extended periods as reading a book requires. It impairs vision, and over time could cause irreversible damage. So, basically, we are promoting a pandemic of illiteracy and gradual deterioration of sight.
It's time we went back to the way things should be. Go to the bookstore and BUY THE BOOK. Sure, it's heavier than it's e-book counterpart, but everyone could use a bit of a workout anyway. :)
Jesse,
ReplyDeleteI too have a hard time with the e-book concept. I know it is lightweight and you are able to have hundreds of books all in one handy device, but I don't see myself owning one any time soon. I have uploaded free e-books to my laptop before just to see what the fuss was all about. To be honest, I did not finish either of the books I started. It just seemed so cold and impersonal to read them on an electronic device.
I love the feel of a new book, the smell of the pages, and seeing the creases in the spine from all the use it has gotten. You can't bend and maniupluate a Kindle to your comfort while curling up on the couch for a good read.
I agree with you that books are better!
As someone who just received a new Ipad and who is reading three books on it, I am currently mixed about books and technology. I really like the convenience of having three books in my purse at the same time, yet I do not like that I cannot underline (sure I can use the highlighter but I have not really mastered it yet) or turn down a page. Time will tell if I stay with ebooks or return to the paper ones, but I do love my Ipad for other reasons.
ReplyDeleteJesse, this is a huge bone of contigency with me as well! I cringe at the thought of e-book and Ipads. It absolutely sickens me: makes me nervous. As someone who has maintained the goal of one day owning a vast home library, the thought of not being able to fill my bookshelves with delicious books (tall ones, short ones, fat ones, skinny ones) frightens, angers and nauseates me. In some aspects, it makes me think of "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. Granted, the act of OWNING books isn't (yet) illegal, the idea that a physical book (something you can hold in your hand, with letters you can run your fingers across) may become obsolete is something I don't like to think about.
ReplyDeleteI'm as old school as they come; I still own a record player. Last Christmas, my neighbors received two e-readers and contemplated giving the other one to me. However, when they really thought about the person that I am, they realized that I would have no use for that machine and it would have no use for me. lol
Jesse,
ReplyDeleteI completely understand your feelings towards the development of e-readers and their consequences. I especially feel the pressure of the phenomena because I work for a corporation whose function is to sell books. However, there will always be paper enthusiasts, like my mother and me, who cannot imagine letting go of all the benefits of physical books. English nerds will always keep bookstores in business!