I was going to take this in a different direction, but then I read Dr. Carroll's blog about the Obama administration's 500 million dollar "donation" to Solyndron. It outrages me that my so many of my friends and loved ones work so hard to fund companies like Solyndra, when schools, libraries, and many other public establishments are seeing more and more cuts in their budget.
The library by my house is my main access to internet connection, and they are at risk of losing most of their funding. This means that, not only do I and many of the members of my community lose access to the web, we also lose access to new books, and inter-library programs which allow the library to find books in other libraries across the state.
Students in Keller ISD were required to pay to ride the school bus this year due to tax cuts. There are other schools who had to follow suit, and some schools are having to take money away from certain departments to fund other areas.
The unemployment rate for the United States is at roughly 9%. Until recent years, the rate had not reached 8% for quite some time. The last time that the United States has had such a high rate was in 1983.
Americans are struggling daily just to afford to pay bills, eat, and still afford to drive back and forth to work, assuming that they arn one of the ninety percent that has a job. Instead of trying to work on these problems, companies like Solyndra are recieving government loans at outrageously low interest rates.
It is unacceptable that we should struggle while companies strive, whether we buy their products or not.
I totally agree. What little I make is put towards gas so I can drive to and from school/work. I cannot recieve anymore government help because my husband makes too much money $45K a year. Yet these huge companies are recieving huge loans and government money to help them, but what about the rest of us?
ReplyDeleteOur country continues to go into debt but nothing is truly being done to get us out of debt. They continue to put laws and regulations into place to help with the debt. Then they turn around and give more money away. I am looking forward to the next presidential election and maybe something will change.
Jessie, the unemployment rate for African-Americans is between 17-24%, depending on the state. If the current government would concentrate on deregulation instead of regulation, cutting taxes instead of spending for that has always worked since John Kennedy implemented it, then small businesses would hire more and unemployment would go done, and equally important, more taxes would go into the coffers with more people working and we could lower our debt, which is a staggering 15 Trillion. In fact, that debt has gone up 5 trillion under Obama. In just 3 years he has spent more than all the previous presidents combined! That is staggering to think about and most of it is spent on programs like Solyndra. I get sick when I think about the debt that this country faces now.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. One of the many problems that many people do not recognize is that much of our economy's downfall is due to the war. We have been draining resources we didn't necessarily have since 9/11 and the drain is continuing.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I feel kind of conflicted about this occurance. Because of my upbringing in a single parent household, a mother with a chronic illness and no college degree, I have grown up experiencing the struggle of what many are facing now. I spent weeks of my life waiting in line at food pantries and reading while my mother begged for money for the electric bill. I still struggle everyday because I am forced to support myself financially while living up here to attend university. A part of me hopes that maybe, with so many people in neeed, the government will pay more attention to the aid systems that haven't been effective for years. We need a strong reformation in government aid and maybe this tragedy will help citizens and government officials to realize that...