Friday, September 16, 2011

Spitting Venom

I try to see the best in people. Sometimes, however, people just let me down.
While serving my time at the wonderful Shell gas station I call work, I discovered this week that lying, cheating, and all-around immoral activity are all working their way into being accepted behaviors.
One of my regular customers came in and was buying scratch-off tickets this week, and had run down to counting change to buy dollar tickets. This went on for a few minutes, then she approached a man right in front of my register, telling him that she was out of gas and would pay for his drink with her lonestar (food stamp) card for a dollar so she could get gas.
The man, seeing how his saving fifty cents to help her out was beneficial to both parties and agreed. The very instant the man left, however, she tried to purchase a scratch-off lottery ticket from me. When I told her that I could not sell her the ticket because she fraudelently obtained the dollar, she gave me a horrible look, turned around, and stormed out.
This was just one incident in the many that I've seen where someone insulted my moral values. Maybe it's just because I try my berst to do anything for someone in need, and hate to see someone get taken advantage of for just trying to help.
The world is falling apart.

3 comments:

  1. I was just talking about this with my mother. For me, situations like this really weigh heavy on my shoulders. It makes my stomach ache to think that one day I'll have children and be charged with the task of raising them one way in MY house, only to be countered by the way the rest of the world outside wants to encourage them to be (or not be, if you think about it). Hopefully, I will have done my job as a parent and brought up men &/or women who can think for themselves and hold to their moral codes and standards (the way you did).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! Every day I see behavior that makes me stop and do a double take. I especially hate when it involves people I know or can be associated with. I think that in today’s society we have become so worked up over image that we have forgotten to live up to the person we project. We need more honesty in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse, you made the right decision! How dare she think she can use taxpayer's money to pay for her gambling habit! That is what she was trying to do. Not only did she lie, but also she fraudulently used her card. She does not deserve help from you--a working tax payer.

    I am proud of you. It took courage for you to do that, and you stepped up.

    ReplyDelete